Headerwrap

header image

1.06.2013

S U S H I Y A S U D A

On the second night in New York, we decided to go and get some sushi. Now, coming from Vancouver, you might think this decision a little strange. I did at first too. There is a stereotype that the west coast has the best options for sushi but after this visit, I believe I may have been mistaken.

When I knew that I was going to New York, I knew that this would be a foodie trip. We would indulge not in shopping or sight seeing, but in good food. I turned to Alice for some recommendations and this restaurant came up. Between this and Morimoto's, I was recommended this restaurant.

Located by the Grand Central Station in Manhatten, this restaurant is central for most tourists to New York. Of course we had a long day of walking around Soho so we were starving by the time we arrived. The menu was simple and typical of most japanese restaurants so we both went with the omakaze menu. The more traditional restaurants will have this option but basically, the sushi chef will give you dishes based on their recommendations. In this case, we got all nigiri style sushi ranging from raw oyster, king salmon, unagi done two ways, spanish mackeral, japanese mackeral, etc. I would highly recommend going with this option if you don't know what you would like. If you do get this option though, do try to sit at the sushi bar, it's a much better experience having the chef personally serve you and introduce each dish. Keep in mind though: no soy sauce or wasabi as the chef would want you to eat each piece as is!

Overall thoughts? It was one of the best japanese meals I have had and probably a more authentic experience than anything we have in Vancouver. The bill came up to about $130 per person but we had some warm sake too. Overall well worth it!

Sushi Yasuda

http://www.sushiyasuda.com/

Sushi Yasuda on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment